Active ingredient: Topiramate
Common use: Topamax is an anticonvulsant chiefly used to control seizures or prevent migraine headaches. It can be used alone or in combination with other medicines.
How to use: Unless otherwise ordered by your doctor, swallow the tablet or capsule whole with a full glass (circa 250 ml) of water. Do not break the tablet or capsule. Topamax can be taken with or without food. Drinking plenty of fluids is important while being treated with Topamax.
If you miss a dose of Topamax, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time to take your next dose, skip the missed dose permanently and stick to your regular dosing schedule. Do no take two doses at once or near each other in time.
How to store: Store Topamax at room temperature in a tightly-closed container, and keep away from heat, light and moisture.
- Drinking plenty of fluids is important while being treated with Topamax.
- It is important to inform your doctor about your full health situation and any medical treatments. Examples of medicines that it is especially important to inform your doctor about are hormonal birth control, medicines that decrease sweating, carbamazepine, anticholinergic medicines (such as benztropine, amitriptyline and haloperidol), and carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (such as acetazolamide and dichlorphenamide).
- Topamax can reduce the effectiveness of certain hormonal contraceptives. Discuss the need for alternative birth control methods with your doctor.
- Do not take any prescription medicine, over-the-counter medicine or alternative medicine while being treated with Topamax without checking with your doctor first.
- Do not stop taking Topamax without consulting your doctor first.
- Keep all doctor and laboratory appointments while being treated with Topamax. Your doctor may for instance order frequent measuring of bicarbonate levels in your blood.
- Inform medical and dental staff that you are being treated with Topamax.
- Topamax will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants.
- Do not drive, operate machinery or do anything else that could be dangerous before your know how you react to Topamax.
- Seek immediate medical attention of
- Topamax may reduce your ability to sweat while you are being treated with Topamax. This can make it more difficult for you to keep your body temperature down in warm conditions. You may need to abstain from vigorous exercise.
Seek immediate medical attention if you body temperature is above normal or if you experience any symptoms of heat stroke.
- Discuss the benefits and risks of using Topamax during pregnancy with your doctor.
- Discuss the benefits and risks of using Topamax during breastfeeding with your doctor. It is unknown if Topamax is excreted in breast milk.